Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lady Gaga Inspired by the Beatles


Lady Gaga, looking like the offspring of John Lennon and Dusty Springfield


After trying to watch the video of "Bad Romance," I'm not sure I see the connection. But apparently the Beatles inspire everyone, even Lady Gaga:
Lady Gaga was inspired by the Beatles' hometown Liverpool during her U.K. tour - insisting she wrote the "greatest music" of her career while staying in the English city.

The Poker Face hitmaker took her Monster Ball trek to the U.K. in February, and played just one night in the northern city where the Fab Four kickstarted their groundbreaking music careers.
But the singer insists it was during her short stay in Liverpool that she wrote her best material to date.
She tells fans on her official website, "I've already written the first single for the new album and I promise you that this album is the greatest of my career.
"It is the anthem for our generation. I wrote it for you, because of you, when I was in Liverpool I wrote the greatest music I've ever written."


In a way, I guess, the Beatles inaugurated the synthesis of performance art and pop music when they donned their Sgt. Pepper's garb and invented new identities for themselves. Glam Rock soon followed, which in turn spawned the high-concept videos of Madonna, Lady Gaga's most important precursor. Lady Gaga's songs, though (at least what I've heard) aren't particularly musical--industrial syntho beat and vocals so processed they don't sound like they come from a human being. I'd like to hear her explain exactly how the Beatles and Liverpool influenced her. Maybe on the new album, her "greatest ever," she'll actually make music!

No comments:

Post a Comment